We use exercise to promote UPward movement for the next athlete, the over-weight, the single parent, the elderly, the family, the kids on the corner and those looking for a place to belong.
Our goal is to create a safe place that promotes physical health, contributing to the emotional, economical and spiritual health of the neighborhood.
Long term goals:
- Establish the foundation for development of lifelong healthy patterns of physical activity and eating
- Decrease obesity
- Prevent development of risk factors for cardiovascular disease including hypertension and hyperlipidemia
- Decrease long term risk of chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease, diabetes and others
- Improve mental health
- Increase understanding of healthy living, including knowledge of benefits of physical activity and healthy eating
- Increase desire to be healthy
- Equip students and parents to provide teaching and encouragement to others relating to healthy living and positive nutrition choices
- Increase the sense of community support for physical activity and create a supportive environment for development of healthy living as habit
- Increase the time children spend engaging in physical activity
- Increase the time children spend engaging in physical activity at times outside of youth fitness programs
- Increase self-esteem and sense of self worth