We are looking for qualified, passionate individuals to intern with us for school credit. The job description is below. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Volunteer Job Title: Fitness Management Intern
Reports to: Associate Director
Time commitment: 15-20 hours per week
Responsibility: The Fitness Management Intern will have the opportunity to work within our varying programs serving youth and adults. This person will be responsible for assisting the Directors in running the gym facility and will have the opportunity to teach classes, run programs and help individuals reach their fitness needs.
About Urban Perform: Founded in January 2012 as a local nonprofit gym, we work to improve the health of families in underserved communities by promoting quality nutrition and active lifestyles. We partner with local organizations to decrease rates of obesity, cardiovascular disease and diabetes; thus, creating a health conscious change in the community. We provide free fitness and nutrition programs for kids as well as $2 classes in various formats for adults including circuit training, Spin, Zumba, and Yoga. We currently serve the English Ave, Vine City and Washington Park neighborhoods on the Westside of Atlanta.
About the Position: This position is offered during the spring, summer and fall semesters. The target population of Urban Perform is predominately non-hispanic Black individuals who live in the English Avenue Vine, Vine City and Washington Park communities. Fitness Management Interns with Urban Perform will have the opportunity to gain experience in many different aspects of the fitness industry, including, but not limited to:
- Customer care
- Facility operations
- Comprehensive fitness assessments
- Individualized exercise programming
- Incentive program development
- Group exercise class instruction
- After school program instruction
- Physical Education class instruction
- Health promotion programs
- Professional development and networking
- Candidates for this internship should have a strong desire to work in community engagement and health/fitness
- Prefer students in their junior or senior year, pursing a BS or BA Degree in wellness, fitness or related field
- Experience/interest in working with diverse populations
- Preferred course work in exercise testing and prescription, exercise physiology and anatomy
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are a must
- Group fitness or personal training certification a plus
- Assist the Associate Director in the daily activities of Urban Perform
- Be present and available to greet and answer questions from clients
- Manage the front desk using our client management system
- Provide assistance and direction for a specific Urban Perform program of your choice
Application Procedure: To apply for this position please email a cover letter and resume with INTERNSHIP in the subject line to email@example.com. Internships can be done for degree credit and are unpaid.