We are looking for qualified, passionate individuals to intern
for us for school credit.
Here's what our interns have to say about Urban Perform:
Urban Perform is impacting the communities it seeks to serve in Atlanta. Members’ eyes are being opened to the value of exercise and they are learning that exercise can be life changing! Urban Perform is bringing community members together. Urban Perform is meeting a huge need of the community. They are providing a place for people to start their journey towards a healthier lifestyle. UP is more than a gym in this community, it is a place where people encourage one another, build relationships, and pursue healthy lifestyles together.
For the residents in the Vine City/English Avenue area UP is not just a gym, it is also safe place for the community to build new relationships, to become more educated about their health, to take advantage of FREE youth programs, and to shop for affordable and fresh groceries.
What you can learn from Urban Perform:
As with any internship, I learned and grew through the entire internship. Not only did I learn about fitness and daily operations of a nonprofit gym, but I also grew personally and professionally. I got to see real public health problems and work towards finding real solutions. More than anything, I had first hand experiences outside of the classroom.
Interning at UP allowed me to learn a number of things, many of which I did not anticipate. I gained valuable business and organizational experience. Every day at UP is full of surprises and because of this I learned to be flexible and how to adjust to changes and challenges in daily operations and scheduling. Many of the things I learned during my time at UP are hard to quantify as they were relational. UP gave me the opportunity to learn more about myself and grow in many ways.
Reports to: Executive Director
Time commitment: 15-20 hours per week
Responsibility: The Fitness Management Intern will have the opportunity to work within our varying programs serving youth and adults. This person will be responsible for assisting the Directors in running the gym facility and will have the opportunity to teach classes, run programs and help individuals reach their fitness needs.
About Urban Perform: Founded in January 2012 as a local nonprofit gym, we work to improve the health of families in underserved communities by promoting quality nutrition and active lifestyles. We partner with local organizations to decrease rates of obesity, cardiovascular disease and diabetes; thus, creating a health conscious change in the community. We provide free fitness and nutrition programs for kids as well as $2 classes in various formats for adults including circuit training, Spin, Zumba, and Yoga. We currently serve the English Ave, Vine City and Washington Park neighborhoods on the Westside of Atlanta.
About the Position: This position is offered during the spring, summer and fall semesters. The target population of Urban Perform is predominately non-hispanic Black individuals who live in the English Avenue Vine, Vine City and Washington Park communities. Fitness Management Interns with Urban Perform will have the opportunity to gain experience in many different aspects of the fitness industry, including, but not limited to:
- Customer care
- Facility operations
- Comprehensive fitness assessments
- Individualized exercise programming
- Incentive program development
- Group exercise class instruction
- After school program instruction
- Physical Education class instruction
- Health promotion programs
- Professional development and networking
- Candidates for this internship should have a strong desire to work in community engagement and health/fitness
- Prefer students in their junior or senior year, pursing a BS or BA Degree in wellness, fitness or related field
- Experience/interest in working with diverse populations
- Preferred course work in exercise testing and prescription, exercise physiology and anatomy
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are a must
- Group fitness or personal training certification a plus
- Assist the Executive Director of Urban Perform
- Be present and available to greet and answer questions from clients
- Manage the front desk using our client management system
- Provide assistance and direction for a specific Urban Perform program of your choice
Application Procedure: To apply for this position please email a cover letter and resume with INTERNSHIP in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Internships can be done for degree credit and are unpaid.